Home page Forums Arts and spaces of thought To be or not to be creative in the world Reply To: To be or not to be creative in the world

Filipe Novais
Keymaster

Hello Rosário,
Thank you for your words that made me think and act by writing these words 😉
I think that “to be creative” is to be in a “World of Creatives and Plurality” (this is the other name of insperatus.org 🙂

“Being creative” is an individual matter. And I think it’s confusing to use the word creative or creativity together with things like world (creative world), regions (creative regions), cities, organizations, groups or even creative thinking. Individuals are creative, but not the world, cities… or thoughts.
“Since Socrates and Plato, we usually call thinking being engaged in the silent dialogue between me and myself”. The activity of thinking as such is “the habit of examining whatever happens to come to pass or to attract attention, regardless of results and specific content”. (Hannah Arendt)

Thinking in the world is to be active in the realm of human affairs. Or, according with the designation given by Joseph Beuys, thinking in the world is doing “social sculpture”. And this attitude holds that if we accept that “everyone is an artist”, creativity will transform the societies in which we live. Creativity must begin in every human being, in his thought, in the expression of his freedom, and in this way everyone can incorporate and carry forward the impetus to change the world. It is to this expression of individual freedom that I call the spaces of thought of human beings in the realm of human affairs.

(More on the post “Spaces of thought – Being active when he does nothing”)

Hamlet’s “to be or not to be” is a good reference to important individual existence issues, such as the liberation of the self, the question of Mortality or even the different question of whether or not we are all artists in the world (rooted in Natality).

“Being creative in the world” of insperatus.org is intimately linked to three important human conditions: Natality, Freedom and Plurality.
Here, at insperatus.org, we do not want to find the “meaning of life” (like Arendt, we think it’s an unanswered riddle), and we do not want to “save the world” either! Creativity in the world, which occurs with individual thought and action, does not exist because it aims to save the world, but rather because everyone, each different and with his individual creativity, can try to create a different common world…, because we can give birth and create something original and unexpected in the world (insperatus :). This is the human condition of Natality.

insperatus.org is also called “World of Creatives and Plurality” because we want it to have two other important human conditions: Freedom (the space where the individual has the ability to think and to be creative, to be capable of original and unexpected perspectives and actions) and Plurality (which means the simultaneous presence of innumerable perspectives and aspects in which the world presents itself and conditions us).
For Arendt, Freedom means the capacity to begin something original, to do the unexpected, the capacity that all humans are endowed by virtue of their birth. Thus, action as the realization of freedom is rooted in natality, in the fact that each birth represents a new beginning and the introduction of the original into the world. So freedom is the possibility to think and meet other people in the realm of human affairs and thereby create something original and unexpected. To act means to think and take the initiative to introduce that original and unexpected in the world. This is how we create the world. This is the “creativity in the world”, the thought and action that take place in freedom and plurality!!

(More on the post “Natality as a human condition” and other posts)

Best